State of Arkansas
Good Samaritan Laws
Ark. Code Ann. §17-95-101 (Michie 1999) Gen.
Ark. Code Ann. §17-95-605 (Michie 1999) AED.
- Provides immunity for rescuers
- Provides immunity for acquirers and enablers of AEDs
- Encourages/requires CPR & AED training.
Copyright © 1987-1999 by The State of Arkansas
All rights reserved.
*** ANNOTATIONS CURRENT THROUGH DECEMBER 15, 1999 ***
SUBTITLE 3. MEDICAL PROFESSIONS
CHAPTER 95. PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS
SUBCHAPTER 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 17-95-101. "Good Samaritan" law
- Any person licensed as a physician or surgeon under the laws of the State of Arkansas or any other person, who, in good faith, lends emergency care or assistance without compensation at the place of an emergency or accident, and who was acting as a reasonable and prudent person would have acted under the circumstances present at the scene at the time the services were rendered, shall not be liable for any civil damages for acts or omissions performed in good faith.
- Any person who is not a physician, surgeon, nurse, or other person trained or skilled in the treatment of medical emergencies who is present at an emergency or accident scene, and who:
shall not be held liable in civil damages in any action in this state for any harm, injury, or death of any such person so long as the person rendering such services acted in good faith and was acting as a reasonable and prudent person would have acted under the circumstances present at the scene at the time the services were rendered.
- Believes that the life, health, and safety of an injured person or a person who is under imminent threat of danger could be aided by reasonable and accessible emergency procedures under the circumstances existing at the scene thereof;
- Proceeds to lend emergency assistance or service in a manner reasonably calculated to lessen or remove the immediate threat to the life, health, or safety of such person;
- Lends only such emergency care or assistance as a reasonable and prudent person concerned for the immediate protection of the life, health, and safety of the person for whom the services were rendered would lend under the circumstances;
- No physician or surgeon who in good faith and without compensation renders voluntary emergency medical assistance to a participant in a school athletic event or contest at the site thereof or during transportation to a health care facility for an injury suffered in the course of the event or contest shall be liable for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions by that physician or surgeon in rendering the emergency medical care. The immunity granted by this subsection shall not apply in the event of an act or omission constituting gross negligence.
- For the purposes of this section and any other law of this state which takes effect on or after January 1, 1994, the term "physician" shall mean a person licensed by the Arkansas State Medical Board, the Arkansas State Board of Chiropractic Examiners, or the State Podiatry Examining Board.
The information contained in this Site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this Site. Accordingly, The information on this Site is provided with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal advice or services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional legal advisers.
While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this Site has been obtained from reliable sources, the authors and publishers are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this Site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind. In no event will the authors and publishers be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information in this Site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.